Valerie P. Jackson M.D., F.A.C.R.
John A. Campbell Professor & Chair of Radiology and Imaging Sciences
Department of Radiology and Imaging Sciences, Indiana University School of Medicine
Medical School: Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
Residency: Radiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indiana University Hospital, Indianapolis, IN
Internship: Indiana University School of Medicine, Indiana University Hospital, Indianapolis, IN
Dr. Jackson was named Chair of the Department of Radiology in July 2004, after serving as Interim Chair since January, 2003. She joined the Indiana University faculty in 1982 as an assistant professor and became a full professor in 1990.
She directed the IU School of Medicine radiology residency program until 2003 was also the chief of the breast radiology section. She has conducted extensive research of mammography and has published more than 100 peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters. She also has research interests in breast ultrasound and interventional breast-imaging procedures.
Dr. Jackson is a recent past president of the American College of Radiology and is a member of the Board of Trustees of the American Board of Radiology.
1. Jackson VP. Diagnostic mammography. Radiol Clin North Am. 2004 Sep;42(5):853-70, vi. Review.
2. Gunderman RB, Heitkamp DE, Kipfer HD, Frank MS, Jackson VP, Williamson KB. 2003 AUR Joseph E. And Nancy O. Whitley Award. Developing tomorrow's academic radiologists: a 3-month residency elective in education. Acad Radiol. 2003 Jun;10(6):650-6.
3. Gunderman RB, Jackson VP. What makes a great radiology resident? Acad Radiol. 2003 May;10(5):554-8.
4. Bassett LW, Monsees BS, Smith RA, Wang L, Hooshi P, Farria DM, Sayre JW, Feig SA, Jackson VP. Survey of radiology residents: breast imaging training and attitudes. Radiology. 2003 Jun;227(3):862-9. Epub 2003 May 1.
5. Jackson VP, San Martin JA, Secrest RJ, McNabb M, Carranza-Lira S, Figueroa-Casas P, Fernandes CE, Romaguera J. Comparison of the effect of raloxifene and continuous-combined hormone therapy on mammographic breast density and breast tenderness in postmenopausal women. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Feb;188(2):389-94. Erratum in: Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Jun;188(6):1628.
6. Jackson VP. Institutional requirements. Acad Radiol. 2003 Feb;10 Suppl 1:S31-4.
7. Williamson KB, Jackson VP, Shuman LA, Stiefel MD, Gunderman RB. Online evaluation in radiology residency programs. Acad Radiol. 2003 Jan;10(1):83-6.
8. Jackson VP. Diagnostic Mammography. Radiologic Clinics of North America, 42:853-870, 2004
9. Jackson VP, Hennon DB. A primer on e-mail etiquette. Journal of the American College of Radiology, 1:712-714, 2004.
2004-present Editorial Board Member, Journal of the American College of Radiology
2003-2006 Scientific Program Committee, Breast Imaging Subcommittee Chair, Radiological Society of North America
2002-2003 President, American College of Radiology