Assistant Professor of Radiology
The ability to image physiological processes in vivo can potentially provide a clearer understanding of cancer models, drug delivery, and therapy. To achieve the afore mentioned goals, our group is researching the use of contrast/tracer agents in coordination with dynamic CT imaging to facilitate such measurements. For example, physiological parameters such as perfusion, permeability, and blood volume for different organs can be determined by introducing an iodinated contrast agent via IV, IP, or IM and tracking their movement throughout the body. Drug delivery to targeted organs can be tracked by imaging iodinated microspheres similar to that commonly used in pharmaceuticals. It is our hope that advanced modeling, imaging, and instrumentation can be combined synergistically to improve clinical diagnosis and cancer therapy.
Masters Degree: Michigan State University, 1991
Ph.D. Degree: Indiana University, 1998
- Stantz KM, Liang Y, Hutchins, Gary; "Kinematic Modeling and Its Implication in Longitudinal Chemotherapy Study of Tumor Physiology: Ovarian Xenograft Mouse Model and Contrast-Enhanced Dynamic CT," Proc. SPIE Medical Imaging 5369:769-779, 2004.
- Stantz KM, Liang Y, Li X, Kao C, Steinmetz R, Imaging the Progression of Intra-tumor Heterogeneity in Prostate and Ovarian Xenografts using Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced CT, Proc. IEEE EMBC, 2005.
- Stantz KM, Liu B, Cao Minsong, Reinecke D, Dzemidzic M, Liang Y, Kruger R. "Evaluating Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced and Photoacoustic CT to Assess Intra-Tumor Heterogeneity in Xenograft Mouse Models", Proc. SPIE Medical Imaging 6143:489-500, 2006.
- Stantz KM, Liu B, Cao M, Reinecke D, Miller K, Kruger R, "Photoacoustic spectroscopic imaging of intra-tumor heterogeneity and molecular identification", Proc. SPIE BIOS 6086:36-47, 2006.
- Stantz KM, Cao M, Liang Y, Miller KD, "Evaluating the Therapeutic Response of PS-341 in Xenograft SKOV3x Ovarian Mouse Model by Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced CT", Molecular Imaging and Biology 8(2):73-74, 2006.
- Cao M, Liang Y, Miller KD, Stantz KM, "Quantification of Intra-Tumor Physiological Heterogeneity and Therapeutic Response in Xenograft MCF-7 Breast Cancer Model by Dynamic Contrast Enhanced Computed Tomography", Molecular Imaging and Biology 8(2):71, 2006.
- Liu B, Reinecke D, Kruger RA, Stantz KM, "Phantom and in-vivo measurements of hemoglobin concentration and oxygen saturation using PCT-S small animal scanner", Proc. SPIE BIOS 6437:, 2007.
- Stantz KM, Liu B, Kruger RA, "Using Monte Carlo simulations to understand the influence of photon propagation on photoacoustic spectroscopic imaging", Proc. SPIE BIOS 6437:, 2007
Last update: 10/26/2007